The Gruuthuse house and museum is situated behind the Our Lady's church. This impressive city mansion belonged to one of the richest families of the medieval city. It has now been transformed into a splendid museum.
It was transformed into a museum and a congress center. Inside the old chapel is now one of the smallest but most attractive museum of Bruges, the Memling Museum. Here six paintings by the 15th century painter Hans Memling can be seen.
The building was completed in 1421 but enlarged and adapted to the needs in the centuries that followed. The facade is richely decorated with gothic windows, towers, statues and the coat of arms of subordinate towns.
The Poortersloge was built at the end of the 14th and beginning of the 15th century in the commercial heart of Bruges. This side of Bruges was the area where the international trade took place, ships were loaded and unloaded.