The Bargebrug (bridge), a striking example of asymmetrical architecture, connects the outskirts of the town with Minnewaterpark. This surprising spot is the starting point of a visit to Bruges for many a tourist.
The Burg square is one of the earliest inhabited places of the city. People settled here as early as in the second and third centuries of our era. In the ninth century, the count of Flanders chose the Burg square as his base of operation.
It was transformed into a museum and a congress center. Inside the old chapel is now one of the smallest but most attractive museum of Bruges, the Memling Museum. Here six paintings by the 15th century painter Hans Memling can be seen.
The building was completed in 1421 but enlarged and adapted to the needs in the centuries that followed. The facade is richely decorated with gothic windows, towers, statues and the coat of arms of subordinate towns.